Wednesday 6 August 2014

mv Rio Grande Express - August 2014

On 2nd August 2014 I joined the containership Rio Grande Express to perform a compass adjustment after her afternoon departure from Melbourne the next day. I stayed aboard the ship until arrival Sydney and flew home later that morning, the 4th. The ship is engaged on a Europe, Australia, South East Asia trade. The highlight of the trip was the delicious Indian food (being an Indian and Sri Lankan crewed ship). The only downside is that my cabin, while large and clean, had a very hard mattress which for some reason is common on these ships. We had a fast run up to Sydney (27 hours pilot to pilot) and I was very pleased that I was able to catch up with a friend of mine from many years ago, Capt. Jim Dargaville, who was the Sydney pilot who berthed the ship at Port Botany.

mv Rio Grande Express at Swanson Dock, Melbourne on 02/08/14.

The ship's 3rd Mate assisting me install a new magnetic compass.

Other shipping at Swanson Dock.


The Owner's cabin, allocated for my use.

The western end of the city from Swanson Dock.
Late afternoon on 2/8 just prior to our sailing.

Our tugs returning to their base.
RAN ships under construction at Williamstown.

Tanker at Gellibrand Pier with the bunker ship Zemira in the background.
A lovely morning at sea off the Gippsland coast.
 


Late afternoon light.
 
Looking forward from my cabin at the Port Botany terminal 4/8.
 



No comments:

Post a Comment